Jamaican Sunday Dinner

Growing up in a Jamaican household meant that dinner on the weekends were always ready before 3 pm. Sundays in particular, involved me waking up to old school music, strong scented cleaning products and more importantly FOOD being cooked. So, I mean it's only natural that when I wake up, the kitchen is the first place on my hit list. I'm sure every kid (or at least Caribbean kid), can attest to sneaking into the kitchen, lifting up the pot cover, knowing good and well that if they got caught.... lets just say, as a word of advice, don't get caught.


Related image
My favorite meal on a Sunday morning would probably be Chicken Foot Soup. Soup in the Caribbean culture is very filling containing the following ingredients:


  • Water
  • Jamaican Cock Soup
  • Chicken foot or regular chicken breast
  • Dumplin
  • Vegetables (carrots, turnips, pumpkin, irish potato, yellow yam, cho cho and corn)
  • Seasoning (garlic, thyme, escallion, pimento seeds)

  • The thing about Sunday dinner is that although we cook our dinner extremely early, we cook it in bulk. This means that we will have that meal throughout the entire day and still have leftovers for even the next couple of days. If you've never tried Caribbean soup, or even Caribbean cuisine, I highly suggest you give it a try, your pallet would love you for it!

    Comments

    Popular Posts